Sunday, March 18, 2012

Where Have I Been? (off topic)

Sorry, I haven't posted in several days, there has been a lot going on in the last week and I want to explain.  For those of you who know me personally, I haven't exactly been myself lately and I am finding out why. My health has been going down hill and everything is a bit out of balance.  These are not mental issues, but physical issues that are going on in my body.

I have struggled with weight my entire adult life.  I yo-yo and each time I come up, I gain more.  In the last 6 months, I have hit an all time high weight and I am not proud of myself for that.  I am, in fact, quite angry that I let myself get this way.  It is time for a real change and this one will be a biggie.  I am going to have weight loss surgery.  There, I said it.  I wasn't going to tell people because I know what a lot of people think about this surgery, but if I don't do it, I am not going to live a full life.  I can't afford another yo up.

Why am I considering this?, you might ask.  I had never considered it before.  Well, I have come to a conclusion that I need this to aid me along my journey, because I am addicted to food.  I eat when I am bored, I eat when I am stressed, mad, sad,...you name it, I eat.  I even eat when I am full.   I don't realize what I am doing when I am doing it, it is like I become a robot.  It is actually quite scary that I have allowed food to become such a priority in my life.

In November, I went to the doctor for some female problems.  I had what is considered a precancerous condition that, by the grace of God, cleared up without treatment, but this doesn't mean that it won't come back unless I make some big changes in my life.

Through all of the blood testing for that, they found that my Triglycerides were dangerously high.  Almost 500.  This was so high that they could not read my Cholesterol levels. They put me on medication and as it came down, they were able to see that my cholesterol levels were high, too.  Now, not only am I high risk for cancer, I am high risk for heart disease which runs in my family. Another issue that has come up is my liver.  Those cholesterol and triglyceride levels are effecting my liver.  I even have marks on my eyelids from the extreme high levels of triglycerides.

This week was the biggie.  I was diagnosed on Friday with type 2 diabetes.  I am now on medicine for that, have to follow a strict diet and have blood sugar all over the place.  Seems, that when your blood sugar is high, it causes you to act strange.  It can make you grouchy, air headed, distant, etc.  I have been all of these over the past few years.

Anyway, back to the weight loss surgery.  My doctor feels that this is the only way to get everything under control for me, because right now, I am out of control.  Lots of prayer has gone into this decision that has already been made.  I am not completely sure which surgery I will be getting.  That will be discussed with the doctor.  I do know that my surgery will not be until at least late June or early July with the later being most likely.  I will also be creating a separate blog about the journey that you are all welcome to follow.  There will be photos and videos along the way to document the process and what I will be going through.  I am hoping this keeps me accountable to follow the instructions that the doctor gives me.

I am ready for this.  I know it is going to be a difficult journey, but it is what I have to do.  While in prayer, the verse that came to me was Mark 9:43 "If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out."


Your comments are appreciated, but with this one, I would prefer you keep it positive.  Concern is fine, I  understand.  This is a decision that Nick and I have not taken lightly.  We understand the risks, the possibility of failure, etc.  We are doing this together and I will have great support groups to back both of us up.  The risks of not having this surgery are much worse than the risks of having it.  The doctors say that I will live 10-15 years longer if I have this surgery than if I don't. 

I love you all!

1 comment: