Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Low Cost, High Quality Shampoo and Conditioner. (And You Don't Have to Make it!)

I am very picky about my shampoo.  I can't usually use the cheap stuff because it dries out my hair or doesn't clean it enough, leaving it looking greasy by the end of the day.  I used to get the expensive shampoo at the drug stores.  In my house, that $8 bottle of shampoo only lasts 2 weeks.  Doesn't seem like a lot to spend, but when trying to cut corners, this is something I have found a great answer to.

I went to Sally's Beauty Supply for the first time about 6 months ago because my daughter wanted to color her hair and I didn't want to pay a professional to do it.  (Another money saving idea if you have a friend you trust!).  They had gallon jugs of professional shampoo and conditioner.  The shampoo was on sale for $2.99 a gallon!!  This is not a typo!  I had to buy it.  Even the original price is only $9.99 and it says that it is concentrated and enough to make 5 gallons!  The conditioner wasn't on sale, but for that price, I couldn't pass it up.  We are just now, 6 months later, needing to buy more.

This shampoo is great!  We all have had very healthy hair since we started using it and I love the smell of the Cherry scented.  I plan on using that to make my fabric softener this week.

Although it says it is concentrated enough to make 5 gallons, I have found that it works better to mix it 50/50, half water and half shampoo or conditioner.  Any more than that and although it does clean your hair, it doesn't lather.  I have some weird issue with that, I know, but I like the lather.  At this concentration, the scent stays with you longer, too.  I mix it and put it into old shampoo/conditioner bottles with pumps, so the family doesn't use too much and we don't lose portions to spills.  

I try to buy it when it is on sale.  It was priced at about $4.50 for the shampoo yesterday, so I got two. I also found out while I was there that you can join their buying club for $5.00 and you get $5.00 off your next purchase and a discount on everything you buy.  Of course, I didn't pass that one up.

Total spending a year on shampoo and conditioner before:  about $420 when you add the tax
Total spending each year if the shampoo and conditioner at Sally's is not on sale: about  $42  HUGE SAVINGS!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, as per my cousin who is one of the best hair designers in southern Wisconsin, Sally's does not sell professional shampoo, so it is actually retail quality shampoo.

    If you are ever in the Madison, Wisconsin area, please let me know, she is amazing at what she does. I will refer you.

    ReplyDelete