Thursday, March 8, 2012

Homemade Dog food.

My family has a large breed German Shepherd puppy.  To give you an idea, he is eight and a half months old and over 90 pounds of big baby dog.  We spend a LOT on dog food.  Today, I have tried making my own dog food and have found it is actually pretty easy.  I found a recipe at http://www.wisebread.com/homemade-dog-food-recipe-and-cost , and as I always do, I tweaked it by using what we had on hand.

Here is my interpretation of their recipe.  I didn't make as much as they did considering this is just a little trial.

2 large chicken breasts
1 large piece of white fish
2 large carrots
1/4 cup peas
1/2 cup green beans
half a sweet potato
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup brown rice
1 egg
3 egg shells
2 tbsp olive oil (he is a puppy and needs the extra calories.)

I just boiled all of the ingredients together until the veggies were soft and the meat was fully cooked.  When it was done, I lightly blended it to break down the larger pieces.  It has cooled and I put it in his bowl and he gobbled it down.  Success!!!

I am still a little worried that he won't get all of the nutrients he needs with this.  I will be talking to the vet, but until I know for sure, we will continue to give him some of the other dog food.  This will make a great supplement so he doesn't eat so much of the expensive stuff.  Next batch will be the larger batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment