Friday, March 2, 2012

Make Your Deodorant at Home!

What?  Yes, you read that right.  I am a person who is prone to stickiness.  There, I said it!  It doesn't matter whether it is summer or winter, if I sweat, it doesn't smell good.  Because of this, I was a bit skeptical about trying this.  I usually use the clinical deodorant and have to rotate brands because my body gets used to them.  Well, that is my unpleasant confession for the day.

When I saw the recipe on making this, again, I was skeptical.  I read all of the comments and there was a lot of success.  What do I have to lose?  I have all of the ingredients already in my home minus the coconut oil that isn't very expensive.  If nothing else, I can let my teenagers use it, right?

Here is the recipe that I found http://www.survivingthestores.com/homemade-coconut-oil-deodorant.html.  I found that a lot of people keep the deodorant in the refrigerator and I don't really like that idea.  I like my deodorant in the bathroom and ready for when I need it.  This is the recipe I used to make my deodorant, and it keeps well without needing to keep it refrigerated.  You can break it down as you like, but I made 4 sticks of deodorant.  I bought the containers at http://www.soapgoods.com which is a great place to buy a lot of supplies cheap.  I could have used old containers, but these are cute and reusable.  I will not need to buy them again.

1/2 cup 92 degree coconut oil (this is a lot more solid and doesn't become liquid until over 92 degrees)
1/2 cup baking soda
1/2 cup cornstarch.
12 drops lemon oil

Melt the coconut oil in the microwave or on the stove (I used microwave)
Mix baking soda and cornstarch together in a separate container
Mix all ingredients together (including lemon oil)
Pour into deodorant container
Allow to solidify

This is my second day using it, and I don't stink!! In fact, I love the lemon/coconut smell.  It smells very fresh and light.  You can get the 92 degree coconut oil at the site I listed above http://www.soapgoods.com  I bought 1.5 lb for $6.70 and it seems to be enough to make about 5 or 6 more batches of 4 sticks of deodorant.  You can use regular coconut oil, but you will probably need use less of it and keep it in the refrigerator.  I have seen recipes use a little bit of bees wax to harden it, but I will stick to the method I have found, because it works for me.

If you try this recipe or a variation of it, please let me know.  It only took about 5 minutes to make and 2 hours to harden completely!  I want to hear what you have to say about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment